The Timothy Paine House, now known as “The Oaks,” was under construction during the events of 1774. The Oaks stands near the site of Paine’s first house, a place where Paine (1730-1793), as one of the most prominent men in Worcester, maintained a hub of social and political activity. In the 1750s John Adams was a frequent guest. While Stephen Salisbury was operating the S&S Salisbury Store in rented quarters prior to building his mansion and store, he stayed at Timothy Paine’s house. Although Paine was considered to be a very moderate Tory, he was still the object of political action by the Worcester Whigs. Not only did he hold several town offices but he was also appointed by Gen. Gage to be a mandamus councilor, a position created to replace the previously elected governor’s councilors. In the summer of 1774, in front of a gathering of 3,000 men from various Worcester County towns, he was forced to resign his commission as councilor. Shortly thereafter, he departed for Malden, Massachusetts, but eventually returned to Worcester to live in the new house. His son, Dr. William Paine, left Worcester and served as a surgeon in the British Army, although he, too, eventually returned to Worcester, in 1793, and acquired United States citizenship.
The Oaks now serves as headquarters for the Timothy Bigelow Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.